The Global Agribusiness Forum (GAF) took place on 23/24 July 2018 in São Paulo, with hundreds of insiders coming from all over the world.
It was an opportunity to take stock of the situation on the global moment of agriculture and its fundamental role in the development of the Earth.
The theme of the 2018 forum was “The science of agriculture at the service of the planet” and was discussed in depth, analyzing various aspects: from the role of agriculture in tackling the problem of hunger in the world, the role of science and technology, from biofuels to new energy frontiers.
Report some of the debated topics:
Food production must grow by 70% by 2015:
In 2017, according to FAO data, at least 815 million people (10.7% of the world’s population) suffer from hunger. According to a research carried out by the PwC (presented during the Forum and of which I can send a copy via e-mail), Brazil will play a fundamental role in the growth of production and supply of seeds, reaching + 41% in the next 10 years.
Soybean and corn production forecasts in the US are decreasing
Barriers to tariffs and health, in addition to the ongoing trade war, are pushing many farmers to replace soy and corn plantations with wheat crops.
The role of Brazilian rural owners in preserving the environment
Few people know this (I, for exemplo, did not know it) but about 50% of the areas of environmental conservation in Brazilian territory are located in rural areas subject to private property. In the North of Brazil (where the Amazon forest is located, for example), landowners can only grow 20% of their property, being obliged to guarantee environmental presumption in the remaining 80%.
Poor quality internet connection makes it difficult for the technoIogical revolution of agricultural machinery
The use of autonomous agricultural machines is the next frontier of technology applied to the world of agriculture. Artificial intelligence, sophisticated GPS systems and interactions between the biological and physical domains are now a reality and are being developed in Brazil. But the poor quality of the internet signal prevents a rapid expansion of the new technologies.
Other topics and details:
Excellent review of what happened at GAF18, where representatives of 62 countries encompassing 64.5% of world´s population gathered to discuss the challenges ahead and how science can help in overcoming them.